Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Update In Topic

My topic has completely changed. Currently, I really want to focus on traditional Thai dance, which can also be considered a form of theater or drama. I've always been really interested in it for a long time, but I didn't think it should be used for the project because I wanted to incorporate my chosen profession (archaeology) into it and the two topics don't really fit together. There are multiple types of styles in which the dances are performed. Some only pertain to folklore as their plot base, or some have a specific type of movement, one used to be only performed for royals, etc. I'd really like to put on a production in the style of Khon, which is a very traditional dance that protrays all or sections of the Ramakien, which is Thailand's version of an Indian epic called Ramayana. The dancers are completely silent. Their actions, thoughts, and speech are narrated by someone who stands on the side of the stage, who is usually with a chorus. The music that's played depicts different things such as walking, expressions, weather, etc. I think it's a very fascinating form of dance because it's so different than anything that I've ever seen, before. Even though a production would take some time, even a year or so, it wouldn't be too difficlt, just time consuming. The main thing would probably be costumes, for money, and the place for it to take place.

No comments: